Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Willard A. Aston (1956) on the Bible and Man Seeing God



For no man has seen God at any time in the flesh, except quickened by the Spirit of God. (D&C 67:11)

But now mine eyes have beheld God; but not my natural but my spiritual eyes, for my natural eyes could not have beheld; for I should have withered and died in his presence; but his glory was upon me; and I beheld his face, for I was transfigured before him. (Moses 1:11)

I recently discussed the question of whether John 1:18 is meaningful biblical evidence against Joseph Smith’s First Vision:


Today, while reading a volume from 1956, I came across the following response that argues in a like-manner to many LDS apologists on this issue (I am reproducing it for those interested in responses to anti-Mormon charges in older works):

Joseph Smith’s declaration that he saw God is true and convincing. We mention the Stephen story in connection with the First Vision. This is done deliberately to prepare the mind of the investigator—to remind him that such visions have occurred. Were it not for the fact that it also helps to explain the Godhead, its use would not be justified.

Some will say, “But the Bible says, ‘no man can see God and live.’” To which the missionary should reply, “You are entirely correct Mr. Tanner. In this carnal state no man see God and live. This is why God must temporarily change those who behold him,” and continue with the lesson. (Willard A. Aston, Teaching the Gospel with Prayer and Testimony [1956], 100)



Blog Archive