Friday, August 28, 2020

Brigham Young on the Importance of Having One's Own Testimony and not to Rely upon Church Leaders

 

 

Some may cry out, "Your saying that this is the kingdom of God does that make it so?" No, not by any means. "Your testimony," Mr. Young, "is, that this is the kingdom of God on the earth—that which was shown to Daniel the Prophet centuries ago." Yes, that is my testimony. "Does this make it so?" No it does not; but let me tell you that it is true;. consequently, I bear my testimony of its truth, though my testimony does not alter that truth in the least, one way or the other; neither does any other man's. That is my testimony, and has been all the time.

 

Why I testify of these things is because they are revealed to me, and not to another for me. They were not revealed to Joseph Smith for me. He had the keys to get visions and revelations, dreams and manifestations, and the Holy Ghost for the people. Those keys were committed to him; and through that administration, blessed be the name of God, I have received the spirit of Christ Jesus which is the spirit of prophecy. Our testimony does not make this true and the testimony of our enemies that it is not the kingdom of God does not make that true or false. The fact stands upon its own basis, and will continue so to stand, without any of the efforts of the children of men. (JOD 5:75-76 | July 26, 1857)

 

 

Blog Archive