Friday, August 26, 2022

Excerpt of Brigham Young's April 6, 1853 Discourse as Published in the Journal of Discourses and Transcription taken from George D. Watt's Shorthand

To demonstrate the importance of checking the transcription of the shorthand accounts of Brigham Young’s sermons, compare how the following portion of his April 6, 1853 sermon reads in the Journal of Discourses and in LaJean Carruth’s transcription of the pitman shorthand account of George D. Watt:

 

Wait patiently, brethren, until it is done, and put forth your hands willingly to finish it. I know what it will be. I am not a visionary man, neither am I given much to prophesying. When I want any of that done I call on brother Heber—he is my Prophet, he loves to prophesy, and I love to hear him. I scarcely ever say much about revelations, or visions, but suffice it to say, five years ago last July I was here, and saw in the Spirit the Temple not ten feet from where we have laid the Chief Corner Stone. I have not inquired what kind of a Temple we should build. Why? Because it was represented before me. I have never looked upon that ground, but the vision of it was there. I see it as plainly as if it was in reality before me. Wait until it is done. I will say, however, that it will have six towers, to begin with, instead of one. Now do not any of you apostatize because it will have six towers, and Joseph only built one. It is easier for us to build sixteen, than it was for him to build one. The time will come when there will be one in the centre of Temples we shall build, and, on the top, groves and fish ponds. But we shall not see them here, at present. (JOD 1:132-33)

 

wait until is done put forth your hand to finish it I know what it will be I not much of a nature to have visions or revelations not much given to prophesying when I want any of that done I call upon Brother Heber he is my prophet he loves to prophesy I love to have him I hardly ever say much about revelations or visions suffice it to say 5 years ago last July I saw here the temple corner stone not ten feet from where we lay the stone I have not inquired what kind of temple should have why because there before me I never looked at that ground but what the vision of it is before me I see it just as plain as if I lived to see it wait until it is done you are instructed about it it will have 6 towers to begin with instead do not any of you apostatize because have six towers and Joseph only built one easier for us to build 16 than it was for him to build one I will say the time will come be one in center of sacred temple [believe?] a grove and fish ponds on those temples but we shall not see them here. ("Brigham Young, 6 April 1853 Cornerstone Laying, Salt Lake Temple," transcribed by LaJean P. Carruth)

 

Blog Archive