Saturday, August 8, 2026

William David Reyburn and Euan McG. Fry on Genesis 16:5

  

Genesis 16:5

 

In what happens next we can again find a parallel in documents of the period that describe the marriage customs of a society in Abram’s part of the world. There are provisions in the Code of Hammurabi for the situation where a priestess, who was free to marry but not to give birth, gives her husband a slave girl to provide him with a son. In this case, if the slave woman attempts to claim equality with her mistress, her mistress may reduce her again to being a slave.

 

Sarai said to Abram: Sarai does not punish her former slave girl until she has claimed her legal rights, which she does now as she speaks to her husband.

 

May the wrong done to me be on you! The wrong or “injustice” refers to the superior attitude Hagar has taken in regard to Sarai. Sarai is saying something equivalent to “I have been treated unjustly, and it is your fault” or, as Speiser translates, “This outrage against me is your fault.” tev has “It is your fault that Hagar despises me,” and gives an alternative rendering in a footnote: “May you suffer for the wrong done against me.” As head of the household Abram has the power and authority to set relationships right between these two women. But so far he apparently has failed to do so. Sarai is now appealing to Abram’s legal responsibility to act.

In translation this construction must often be reworded to say, for example, “I have been wronged and it is your fault,” “It is your fault that Hagar has treated me wrongly,” or “I have been treated unfairly by Hagar, and you are responsible for it.”

 

I gave my maid to your embrace translates the idiomatic phrase “I gave … into your bosom,” which Speiser says is not “a fanciful expression, but a recognized legal phraseology.” For expressions relating a man’s wife to his bosom, see Deut 13:6; 28:54. tev renders the expression “I gave her to you,” with the purpose of the action being understood from the context. frcl, neb, reb, njb say “into your arms,” gecl says “I turned over my slave girl to you,” and spcl “I myself gave her to you for a wife.” Since the context makes clear the purpose for which Sarai gave Hagar to Abram, it may not be necessary to say more than “I gave my maid to you” or “I let my maid be a wife for you.” However, it is important to understand and convey the feelings of Sarai, who is grieved that she has acted in the proper legal way, but that things have turned out wrong for her. One translation goes on in Sarai’s words, after she has accused Abram of being the cause of the trouble, “It’s true that I myself gave you my working girl. But now.…” Another takes a more angry tone: “I gave you my working girl, and what happened? When she found that baby, she started to look down on me.”

 

When she saw she had conceived: see verse 4.

 

She looked on me with contempt: see verse 4.

 

May the Lord judge between you and me! completes the speech by Sarai that began at the beginning of the verse. Sarai demands a legal decision. Her case is not between her and her maid but between her and her husband, Abram. Since Hagar became Abram’s “wife” her conduct is the legal responsibility of Abram. Sarai appeals to the Lord to judge who is at fault—Sarai who gave Hagar to her husband, or Abram who has not corrected Hagar’s misconduct in relation to Sarai. Sarai’s demand that the Lord judge is a formula found many times in the Old Testament. See for examples Gen 31:53; Exo 5:21; 1 Sam 24:12, 15. This expression is sometimes rendered “I ask the Lord to decide this affair between you and me,” “I call on the Lord to say who is right in this matter between us,” or idiomatically “I ask the Lord to cut the words between us.” One translation that may serve as a good model says “Well God has to find out who is right out of us two.” (William David Reyburn and Euan McG. Fry, A Handbook on Genesis [UBS Handbook Series; New York: United Bible Societies, 1998], 352-53)