Thursday, October 8, 2015

Joseph Smith: Boastful Prophet?

Some critics will often claim the following statement from Joseph Smith “proves” he was a narcissist and boastful, if not greater than Jesus Himself!

I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam... Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.” (History of the Church, 6:408–409

However, a lot of quote-mining goes into this quote, as well as other quotes from Brigham Young and other early LDS leaders with respect to the role and status of Joseph Smith.

Two good online articles addressing and refuting such charges are:



Is Joseph Smith greater than Jesus Christ?” by W. John Walsh, Stephen R. Gibson, and Mike. Parker

Blog Archive