Friday, November 26, 2021

Ephrem the Syrian on Peter being Paralleled with Eve in his Commentary on Tatian's Diatessaron, Matthew 16:21-23

  

See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all that is written about me will be fulfilled. For the Son of Man is about to be crucified and die. Satan fought once again against our Lord through the mouth of Simon, head of his Church, as [he had formerly] through Eve. Let these things be far from you, Lord. He said to him, Get behind me, Satan. "Have you not learned the reason for my coming? Just as I became an infant and was placed in the cradle, and gave joy to those born [of women], so too it is fitting that I go down to Sheol, and console the dead, in the presence of those just ones, who for ages have been waiting to see me. (Saint Ephrem's Commentary on Tatian's Diatessaron: An English Translation of Chester Beatty Syriac MS 709 with Introduction and Notes [trans. Carmel McCarthy; Journal of Semitic Studies Supplement 2; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993, 2000], 214)

 

Blog Archive