Sunday, November 7, 2021

Isaiah 50:2 in 2 Nephi 7:2

Isa 50:2 in the KJV reads as follows:

 

Wherefore, when I came, was there no man? when I called, was there none to answer? Is my hand shortened at all, that it cannot redeem? or have I no power to deliver? behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness: their fish stinketh, because there is no water, and dieth for thirst.

 

This verse is quoted in the Book of Mormon at 2 Nephi 7:2, but with some differences:

 

Wherefore when I came, there was no man; when I called, yea, there was none to answer. O house of Israel, is my hand shortened at all that it cannot redeem? Or have I no power to deliver? Behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea. I make the rivers a wilderness and their fish to stink because the waters are dried up and they dieth because of thirst.

Commenting on this variant, John Tvedtnes noted that:

 

 

There was apparently some confusion in the original over the words tb'š (MT), "shall stink", and tybš (1QIsa), "shall dry up". V[ulgate] followed MT by reading computrescent, while LXX is like 1QIsa (kaērantēsontai). It would seem that BM picked up both verbs, applying one to the waters (for this idea in Isaiah, see 42:15; 44:27; 50:2). the other for the fish (see Ex. 7:18, 21). It is, of course, possible that the original contained both verbs and that, because they so closely resembled each other, MT lost one of them by haplography (or, of course, BM could have added one by near-dittography). We shall therefore note this as version support for BM. (John A. Tvedtnes, The Isaiah Variants in the Book of Mormon, 81)

 

Blog Archive