Monday, July 11, 2022

JST Exodus 34: Additional Information Concerning the Contents of the Original Tablets and Addition of "Jehovah" to v. 14

In JST Exo 34:1-2, 4, we read the following detail about the original set of tablets and the “higher” law:

 

KJV

1867 Inspired Version (RLDS)

And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest. And be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me in the top of the mount. . . . And he hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and Moses rose up early in the morning, and went up into mount Sinai, as the Lord had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two other tables of stone, like unto the first, and I will write upon them also, the words of the law, according as they were written at the first on the tables which thou brakest; but it shall not be according to the first, for I will take away the priesthood out of their midst; therefore my holy order, and the ordinances thereof, shall not go before them; for my presence shall not go up in their midst, lest I destroy them. But I will give unto them the law as at the first, but it shall be after the law of a carnal commandment; for I have sworn in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my presence, into my rest, in the days of their pilgrimage. Therefore do as I have commanded thee, and be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai, and present thyself there to me, in the top of the mount. . . . And Moses hewed two tables of stone like unto the first; and he rose up early in the morning, and went up unto mount Sinai, as the Lord had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone.

 

In JST Exo 32:14, Joseph Smith adds the name “Jehovah” to the verse:

 

KJV

1867 Inspired Version (RLDS)

For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

For thou shalt worship no other god; for the Lord, whose name is Jehovah, is a jealous God.

 

Old Testament Manuscript 2, page 70:

 




 

XXXIV. Chapter

 

1 Vers and the Lord said unto Moses, hew thee two other tables of stones, like unto the first, and I will write upon them also, the words of the Law, according as they were writen at the first, on the tables which thou breakest; but it shall not be according to the first, for I will take away the priest-hood out of there midst; therefore my holy order; <and the ordinences thereof,> shall not go before them; for my pres--ence shall not go up in there midst Least I distry them[,]<.>But I will give unto them the law as at the fist, but it shall be after the law of a carnal commandment; for I have sworn in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my presence, into my rest, in the days of there pilgrimage[,]<.> Therefore do as I have commanded thee, and be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning [i]<u>nto mount sinai, and pres[t]<e>nt thy self there, to me, in the top of the mount,

4 " and Moses hewed two tables of stone, like unto the first, and he rose up early in the morning and went up unto mount sinai, as the Lord had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tables of stone,

 

. . .

 

14th Jehovah

 

 

Blog Archive