Tuesday, December 27, 2022

L. John Nuttall on the JST Manuscripts

  

Wed. Sept. 10, 1879

 

Elder Rudgler Clawson called, we had been informed by summons to appear at Court, in Dalton, Ga., as a witness in the killing of Elder Standing, to be there Oct. 6, leave here Sept. 30; it was deemed best for him to go. As he feels himself he should go.

 

Elder John M. Bernhisel called at the request of Prest. Taylor and explained pertaining to his Manuscript copy of the New Translation of the Bible, as taken from the Manuscript of the Prophet Joseph Smith, “Bro. Bernhisel stated: I had great desires to see the New Translation, but did not like to ask for it; but one evening, being at Bro. Joseph’s house about one year after his death. Sister Emma to my surprise asked me if I would not like to see it. I answered, yes. She handed it to me the next day, and I kept it in my custody about three months. She told me it was not prepared for the press, as Joseph had designed leaving some few additions and changes that were made in some of the books. But so far as I did copy, I did so as correctly as I could do; the markings in the Bible correspond precisely with the markings in the Prophet Joseph’s Bible, so that all the books corrected in his Bible, so far as now know, are marked in my bible. But as I stated, the additions are not all made in my manuscript of those books that I did not copy. (L. John Nuttall: Diary Excerpts, comp., Ogden Kraut [Salt Lake City: Pioneer Press, 1994], 99-100)

 

Blog Archive