Sunday, March 13, 2016

Quick thoughts on positive "boasting" in Scripture

In Gospel Doctrine class today, the question of whether being "prideful" (or "boastful") in all its forms is sinful (e.g., being proud of one's kids). Perhaps with the concept of "anger," there is righteous anger (against sin, for instance) and "sinful" anger (due to our fallen nature). I was reminded of something one finds in the Hebrew Bible. In 1 Chron 29:13, we read the following:

Now, therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.

In the Hebrew and the LXX, the name of God is actually viewed as a name one  "boasts in," if you will (Heb:הלל ;Greek: καύχησις both mean "to be boastful"). Compare the LXX translation provided by the NETS:

And now, Lord, we acknowledge you and praise the name of your boasting.

This should be compared with the words of Ammon in the Book of Mormon:

And it came to pass that when Ammon had said these words, his brother Aaron rebuked him, sahing: Ammon, I fear that thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting. But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full yea, my heart is brm with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; thereore, I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I an do all things; yea, behold many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever. (Alma 26:10-12)

Blog Archive