Friday, September 14, 2018

Testimony of the Christocentric Nature and Conversion Power of the Book of Mormon from a Former Muslim

Haris Rožajac, a former Muslim from Bosnia and Herzegovina who became a Latter-day Saint, wrote the following about the Christocentric nature of the Book of Mormon and its power to convert (all the more significant considering the Quran rejects the atoning death and resurrection of Jesus Christs, among other things, so there is a natural barrier between Islamic Christology and Latter-day Saint conceptions thereof):

After I read Mosiah 15:1-4 and analyzed it carefully, I was convinced that Jesus is the Son of God who came to earth and redeemed us from our sins:

And now Abinadi said unto them: I would that ye should understand that God himself shall come down among the children of men, and shall redeem his people.
And because he dwelleth in flesh he shall be called the Son of God, and having subjected the flesh to the will of the Father, being the Father and the Son—
The Father, because he was conceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and the Son—
And they are one God, yea, the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth.

These verses show and explain the nature of Godhead, which I know is true. If we read in John 1:1 we see that “the Word was God.” Jesus is the Father because “he was conceived by the power of God”; and the Son “because of the flesh”, as explained in John 1:14, “And the Word was made flesh.” I found the same thing in Quran, chapter 3, verse 47, which speaks about Jesus’ divine conception. She said, “My Lord, how can I have a son, when no man has touched me?” He said, “God thus creates, whatever He wills. To have anything done, He simply says to it, ‘Be, and it is.” Hence, Mosiah 15:1-4 includes both New Testament’s and Quran’s perspectives of Jesus, explaining the true nature of Godhead.

This was a powerful testimony to me because I could feel that God was close to us. His Son died to overcome the effects of the Fall and His atoning sacrifice affects all people, even without them seeking it. We also have a responsibility for our individual salvation. We obtain salvation through faith, good works, and the redemption wrought by Jesus Christ. This is glorious. Our Savior died on the cross and felt pain that no one can imagine. He understands me. When I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, I know that Heavenly Father will help me through the power of the Holy Ghost and that my entire soul can be enlightened, both my spirit and my body as the tabernacle of my spirit. (A Global Testimony: Sixty Different Countries One Power Message [comp. Katarina Jambrešić; New York: A Global Testimony, 2014], 73-74)



Blog Archive