Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Tad R. Callister on the Testimony of the Holy Spirit Not Being Subjective "Emotionalism"

The following discussion about the testimony of the Holy Spirit is from Tad Callister’s new book, A Case for the Book of Mormon. I reproduce the following as it disproves the thesis that the “Mormon testimony” is “nothing more than subjective feelings” (a charge that comes from rather hypocritical anti-Mormons like Mike and Ann Thomas):


Enlightened Understanding

Another divine witness comes in the form of increased enlightenment and understanding. The Lord reminded Oliver Cowdery and Joseph Smith, “As often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit” (D&C 6:14). Lest there be any misunderstanding as to the source of this instruction and knowledge, the Lord showed the connection between the effect (increased knowledge) and the cause (the Spirit”) as follows:  “Thou knowest that thou hast inquired of me and I did enlighten thy mind; and now I tell thee these things that thou mayest know that thou hast been enlightened by the Spirit of truth” (D&C 6:15; emphasis added).

The Lord further confirmed this cause-and-effect relationship between the Spirit and enlightenment in these words: “I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind” (D&C 11:13). Alma described the workings of the Spirit in similar terms: “It beginneth to enlighten my understanding” (Alma 32:28), and “Your mind doth begin to expand” (Alma 32:34). President Henry B. Eyring expressed his personal feelings on this subject: “The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of Truth. Almost always I have felt a sensation of light. Any feeling I may have had of darkness is dispelled” (Eyring, “Gifts of the Spirit for Hard Times”). Similar feelings came to King Lamoni, of whom it was recorded: “the dark veil of unbelief was being cast away from his mind” and it was replaced by “the light of everlasting life [which] was lit up in his soul” (Alma 19:6).

This enlightenment literally causes a transformation of our minds. It elevates us to a loftier plane so we have a higher intellectual and spiritual IQ, so to speak—a more refined capacity to think and reason as God does. Paul invited us to “be ye transformed by the renewing [or enlightening] of your mind” (Romans 12:2). Joseph Smith added, “A person may profit by noticing the first intimation of the spirit of revelation; for instance, when you feel pure intelligence flowing into you, it may give you sudden strokes of ideas” (Teachings: Joseph Smith, 132). I think we have all felt such enlightenment when we have diligently sought God’s help in solving a problem or facing a trial, or when we have received ideas for a talk or lesson or a personal answer to a difficult challenge (sometimes this enlightenment will continue to linger, as it did with Joseph Smith when he said, “I now resume the subject of the baptism for the dead, as that subject seems to occupy my mind, and press itself upon my feelings the strongest [D&C 128:1]) . . .

. . .

The Voice of the Lord in Our Mind

When Enos prayed mightily for the welfare of his brethren, he recorded that “the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments” (Enos 1:10). Evidently, this was not an audible voice that came into his ears, rather a silent but discernible voice that came into his mind.

One time I was assigned with another leader of the Church to reorganize a stake. Our main responsibility was to interview members of the stake and call one of them to be the new stake president. I knew none of the twenty-five or so people we were interviewing. At one point, an interviewee walked into the room where the two of us sat. I was somewhat surprised when a voice came to my mind: “That is the stake president.” I had previously participated in a number of stake reorganizations, and eventually the Spirit always revealed to us whom the stake president should be, but usually some struggle was required to receive the revelation. Never had I received such an immediate and powerful witness as this.

The interview then commenced. One of the interviewee’s responses caused me to seriously doubt whether he should be the stake president. I was torn in my feelings. Logically, I could not recommend him, but spiritually a confirmation had come.

When all the interviews were completed, the other church leader turned to me and said, “Who do you think the stake president should be? I responded that if I were relying on the interview alone, I would not recommend the brother for whom I had concerns, but when he walked into the room, I received the distinct impression that this man was the Lord’s chosen servant.

The other leader responded, “I had the same impression.” The man was called.

Perhaps in this case the Lord gave me such a clear and powerful impression because He knew that otherwise I might be tempted to follow the logic of my mind rather than the impression of the Spirit—that I might be influenced more by my impressions of the outer man than the inner man.

That inaudible but discernible voice to our mind is another witness of the Spirit, another confirmation that may come to us of the truth of the Book of Mormon. (Tad R. Callister, A Case for the Book of Mormon [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2019], 219-20, 222-23)



Blog Archive