Thursday, October 29, 2020

Two Undisputed Instances where כפר (LXX: ἐξιλάσκομαι) is used to mean "propitiate/appease"

The following are two instances I found today where כפר is used in the sense of propitiate/appease, further refuting the thesis of C.H. Dodd et al:

 

And you shall say, "Moreover your servant Jacob is behind us." For he thought, "I may appease him (Heb: כפר ; LXX: ἐξιλάσκομαι) with the present that goes ahead of me, and afterwards I shall see his face; perhaps he will accept me" (Gen 32:20 [v. 21 in Hebrew] NRSV)

 

A king's wrath is a messenger of death, but a wise man will appease it (Heb: כפר ; LXX: ἐξιλάσκομαι) (Prov 16:14 NRSV)

 

  I have added these to the discussion of the atonement being propitiatory to my lengthy review of The Christ Who Heals:


Critique of "The Christ Who Heals"

Blog Archive