Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Nels August Nelson (1857-1935) and the Celestial Kingdom having Tiers

In his biography, Nels August Nelson recounted a vision of the pre-existence and the future he received. His account reads, in part, that




 

If I could so conduct myself in this stage of action, to be worthy of the celestial kingdom with eternal increase, then and only then would I gain an inheritance of my own to be as a Father Adam, and my wife, a mother Eve. Failing this I would forever inherit in connection with others of my brethren and sisters, one of the three glories eternally without increase, hence no need of an individual inheritance. (History of Nels August Nelson (1926), 41, MS 5443, Church History Library [the date of Nelson's vision appears to be c. 1885])

 

Here, in this account of his vision, we find that those who are not exalted will inherit “one of the three glories eternally without increase . . .” This would include the Celestial Kingdom. This supports the thesis that, by this time, it was an acceptable/allowable position to interpret the Celestial Kingdom as having tiers, with those in the top tier being exalted, consistent with the majority interpretation of D&C 131 by modern interpreters.



Blog Archive