Sunday, June 26, 2022

Brigham Young (March 21, 1858): Joseph's Martyrdom in Carthage was not a "Fixed" Event in God's Timetable

In a revelation received on January 14, 1847 (now canonized as section 136 of the Doctrine and Covenants), Brigham Young, addressing the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, said that:

 

Many have marveled because of his death; but it was needful that he should seal his testimony with his blood, that he might be honored and the wicked might be condemned. (D&C 136:39)

 

Some may take this to mean that the Lord (and Brigham Young) believed that Joseph’s death was something that was a “fixed” event and would happen, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. However, in a sermon dated March 21, 1858, just over 11 years after D&C 136 was received, Brigham clearly did not believe that Joseph and Hyrum’s deaths in Carthage Jail were something that was a “fixed” event in salvation history:

 

Joseph's going to Carthage did not save this people. I have acknowledged the hand of the Lord in it from the beginning, and say it was right, it was all well enough, but the people would have been just as well off if Joseph had left the country. . . . I will deviate from my subject a little, and say a few words with regard to br. Joseph that some, perhaps, have not understood. If Joseph Smith, jun., the Prophet, had followed the Spirit of revelation in him he never would have gone to Carthage. Do you understand that? [Voices, 'Yes.'] A great many do, and some do not. Many of the first Elders of this church have a different understanding; they are under the impression that he went there according to his own choice. Joseph intended to go West; he designed to raise a company to come to the very country we now occupy. He said, "I can see life and liberty and salvation in that course, but if I return to give myself up, it is death and darkness to the full; I am like a lamb led to the slaughter," and never for one moment did he say that he had one particle of light in him after he started back from Montrose to give himself up in Nauvoo. This he did through the persuasion of others. I want you all to understand that.

 

With regard to myself I cannot say what I will do. I do not know precisely in what manner the Lord will lead me, but were I thrown into the situation Joseph was, I would leave the people and go into the wilderness, and let them do the best they could. Will I run from the sheep? No. Will I forsake the flock? No. But if Joseph had followed the revelations in him he would have been our earthly shepherd to-day, and we would have heard his voice and followed the shepherd instead of the shepherd's following the sheep. When the shepherd follows the sheep it reverses the natural order, for the sheep are to follow the shepherd. (A Series of Instructions and Remarks by President Brigham Young at a Special Council, Tabernacle, March 21, 1858 [Salt Lake City: n.p., 1858], 3-4)

 

Blog Archive