Friday, June 24, 2022

Use of "Masiah" instead of "Messiah" in Old Testament Manuscript 2 (cf. JST Genesis 50:24-25)

In Old Testament Manuscript 2, pages 63-64 (corresponding to JST Gen 50:24-25) we read:

 



 



 

Verse 2[5]<4> And Joseph said unto his Brethren, I die, and go unto my Fathers; and I go down to my grave with Joy. the God of my Father Jacob be with you, [d]<t>o deliver you out of affiction, in the day of your bondage; for the Lord hath visited me, and I have obtained a promise of the lord, that out of the fruit of my loins, the Lord God will raise up a righ<t>eous branch, unto me <out of my lines;> ‎<&> unto thee, whom my Father Jacob that <hath> named Israel, a prophet, not the Masiah, who is called shilo; and this prophet shall deliver my people out of Egypt, in the day<s> of thy bondag and it shall come to pass, that they shall be scattered again, and a branch shall be broken off, and shall be carried into a far country; neverthe[s]<l>ess they shall be rembered in the covenants of the Lord, when the Masiah cometh; for he shall be made manifest unto them in the latter    days, in the spirit of power; and shall bring them out   of darkness unto light; out of hiden darkness, and out of captivety a[n]<u>nto freedom.

 

I find it interesting that, instead of “Messiah,” the term used twice is Masiah. The Hebrew for “anointed one” is מָשִׁיחַ, and is transliterated mā·šîaḥ (alt. mashiah).

Blog Archive