Saturday, July 2, 2022

Joseph Smith's Expansion to Genesis 48:5-6 and the Promises to Ephraim and Manasseh

KJV Gen 48:5-6 reads:

 

And now thy two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, which were born unto thee in the land of Egypt before I came unto thee into Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine. And thy issue, which thou begettest after them, shall be thine, and shall be called after the name of their brethren in their inheritance.

 

Joseph Smith expanded upon this text and the promises made to Ephraim and Manasseh. Old Testament Manuscript 2, pages 62-63 reads:

 





and now, of thy two sons, Epraim and Manassah, which were born [u]<u>nto thee in the Land of Egypt, before I came unto thee in<to> Egypt; behold, thay are mine, and the God of my Fathe[r]<rs>  shall bless them; even as Reuben and Simeon they shall also be blessed, for they are mine; Wherefore they shall be called after my name, <(>therefore they were called Israel.<)> and thy Issue, which thou begetest after them, shall be thin<e>, and shall be called after the name of there brethren in there inheritence, in there tribes; therefore they were called the tribes of Manasseh & <of> Ephraim. and Jacob said unto Josep[t]<h>, when the God of my Fathers appeared unto me in Luz, in the Land of Canaan; he sware unto me, that he would give unto me, and unto my seed, the land for an everlasting possession, therefore, O my son, he hath blessed me in raising thee up to be a servant unto me, in saving my house from death, in delivering my people, thy Brethren, from famin which was sore in the Land; wherefore the god of thy fathers shall bless thee, and the fruit of thy loins, that they shall be blessed above thy brethren, and above thy fathers house; for thou hast prevailed, and thy Fathers house has bowed down unto thee, even as it was shewen unto thee, before thou wast sold into Egypt, by the hands of thy Brethren; wherefore thy Brethren shall bow down unto thee from Je Generation to generation, unto the fruit of thy loins for ever[,]<;> to be a <for thou shalt> be a light unto my people, to deliver them in the days of there captivity, from there bondage; and to p bring salvation unto them, \when thay are alltogether bowed down uder sin.

 

Blog Archive