Saturday, June 1, 2024

Appeals to John 10:16 in Christopher Columbus, The Book of Prophecies

 The following comes from:

 

The Book of Prophecies, ed. Christopher Columbus, (trans. Blair Sullivan; Repertorium Columbianum 3; Berkeley: University of California Press, 1997), 297, 299, 301

 

 

[211]

 

[1] John, chapter 10

 

[2] I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep, and they know me. Etc. [3] I have other sheep who are not from this fold and I must bring them, and they will hear my voice and there will be one fold and one shepherd.

[4] Commentary of Nicholas, etc.

[5] It should not be believed on the basis of Matthew 15 that he had to die only for the Jews: [6] “I have been sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” [7] For he changes the wording, saying, “I have other lambs who are not from this fold,” that is, not from the synagogue of the Jews, but from the Gentiles. [8] “And I must bring them”: This was accomplished by the apostles’ preaching, described in Acts 13. Christ was the principal agent of this evangelization, as written in the last chapter of Mark, [9] “They went forth and preached everywhere with the assistance of the Lord,” etc. [10] “And they will hear my voice”: For when the Jews rejected the faith of Christ, the Gentiles received it devoutly through the preaching of the apostles, as described in Acts 13, where it is recorded that Paul and Barnabas said to the Jews: [11] “It was necessary first to speak the word of God to you; but because you reject it and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles. [12] This is what the Lord commands us to do.” [13] It continues: “Hearing it, the Gentiles rejoiced and glorified the word o the Lord.” [14] “And there will be one fold,” that is, one church made up of Jews and Gentiles, etc.

 

[212]

 

[1] Gregory

 

[2] Because he had come to redeem not only Judea, but also the gentile family, he added, [3] “I have other sheep who are not from this fold.”

 

[213]

 

[1] Augustine, Concerning the word of the Lord

 

[2] He spoke first of the sheepfold of the carnal lineage of Israel. [3] There were others of the lineage of the faith of Israel, outside of the fold among the Gentiles, predestined but not yet gathered. [4] “Thus they are not from this sheepfold”; for they are not from the carnal lineage of Israel, but they will belong to the fold, [5] for it continues, “and I must bring them.”

 

[1] Chrysostom

 

[2] He points out others, dispersed without shepherds. [3] It continues, “and they will hear my voice,” as if to say, [4] why are you surprised that they will follow me and hear me, when you see others following me and hearing my voice? [5] Then he foretells their union: [6] “And there will be one fold and one shepherd.”

 

[215]

 

[1] Also Gregory, from the Homilies

 

[2] From two flocks, so to speak, one sheepfold is made; for he unites the Jews and Gentiles in his faith.

 

Blog Archive