Wednesday, June 5, 2024

The Use of Clothing Imagery in "Passion of Peter of Capitolias (d. 715)"

 Clothing imagery is often abused by Protestants to support their understanding of imputation. However, note the following where someone has the sacrament of holy orders (an inward reality) expressed using clothing imagery:

 

2. O beloved, there was a certain man in the city of Capitolias, in the province of Jordan, which is in Second Palestine, by the name of Peter, who was clothed with the honor of the priesthood and distinguished in his ancestry and beauty and the riches of this fleeting life, although he considered these things as nothing. (“Passion of Peter of Capitolias (d. 715),” trans. Stephen J. Shoemaker, in Three Christian Martyrdoms from Early Islamic Palestine [Middle Eastern Texts Initiative; Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Press, 2016], 5, emphasis in bold added)

 

This text also argues against many formulations of sola fide, such as the following:

 

Do you sentence me to death? It is preferable to me than life. Understand then that you cannot alter the resolve of my mind, for in Christ Jesus I live and move and have my being. This is my desire; that is my longing—to die for my Christ because he willingly died for me and rose on the third day and ascended with glory so that I might inherit life, which he promises for shedding one’s blood eagerly on his behalf.” (Ibid., 41, emphasis in bold added)

 

In terms of manuscript evidence for this text, as Shoemaker notes

 

The text is known only in Old Georgian, where it survives in just a single manuscript, a menologion for the months of September and October. The manuscript itself is rather late, having been copied in 1565 at the Gelati monastery, one of the most important cultural centers in late medieval and early modern Georgia; now it is preserved in the city museum of the nearby town Kutaisi. (Ibid., xv)

 

Blog Archive