Sunday, November 16, 2014

John Taylor on the Prophet Joseph Smith

It is no secret that Latter-day Saints have a special respect to the Prophet Joseph Smith. We believe that it was through Joseph Smith that the Lord restored the true Gospel and Priesthood authority, as well as being given the gift to translate ancient scriptures, most notably the Book of Mormon, and receive numerous revelations, many of which are canonised in the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. Furthermore, because of the teachings given to him about temple work and the restoration for work of the dead, as shocking as it is to outsiders, it is true as D&C 135:3 states, with only the exception of Christ Himself, Joseph Smith has done more for the salvation of man.


In an uncanonised revelation to John Taylor, the third president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we read the following about the Prophet:


Behold, I raised up my servant Joseph Smith to introduce my Gospel, and to build up my Church and establish my Kingdom on the earth; and I gave unto him wisdom and knowledge and revelation, and intelligence pertaining to the past, the present, and the future, even to that extent which was not known among men; and I endowed him with power from on high, and conferred upon him the Priesthood of Aaron, and also the Priesthood of Melchizedek, which is after the order of the Son of God, even the holiest of all, and after the power of an endless life, and administered forever in this world and the world to come. He was called and ordained to this office before the world was. He was called by me, and empowered by me, and sustained by me to introduce and establish my Church and Kingdom upon the earth; and to be a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator to my Church and Kingdom; and to be a King and Ruler over Israel.

Source: Revelation to John Taylor, June 27, 1882, John Taylor Papers, LDS Church Archives, cited by John A. Tvedtnes, Organize my Kingdom: A History of Restored Priesthood (Salt Lake City: Cornerstone, 2000), 13.

Some critics claim that LDS theology holds that Joseph Smith is of greater importance than Jesus Christ. Apart from being a bald-face lie, it is also easily disproven. One group that has made this claim is Reachout Trust, a group that was founded by the late Doug Harris. To see the exchanges they had with informed LDS apologists, and how easily their “arguments” falter upon close examination, see this link on the SHIELDS Website.

Blog Archive