Saturday, May 2, 2015

Paul vs. Eternal Security

But I keep under my body, and bring it unto subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. (1 Cor 9:27)

The term translated as “castaway” is αδοκιμος. This term also means “reprobate.” Notice the other instances of this term being used in the Pauline corpus:

And even a they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate (αδοκιμος) mind, to do those things which are not convenient. (Rom 1:28)

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates (αδοκιμος)? But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates (αδοκιμος). Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates. (αδοκιμος)  (2 Cor 13:5-7)

Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate (αδοκιμος) concerning the faith. (2 Tim 3:8)

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate (αδοκιμος). (Tit 1:16)

That Paul did not hold to “eternal security” or any other variant of this theology (e.g., perseverance of the saints [the “P” of Calvinism’s “TULIP]) can be seen when one reads 1 Cor 9:27-10:6, where Paul also brings in the issue of the Israelites in the wilderness and how they lost their own salvation and standing before God; I will reproduce the NIV, a popular Evangelical translation:

No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for a prize. For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers and sisters, that our ancestors were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. And were all baptised into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered in the wilderness. Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did.

Unless one wishes to engage in a lot of scripture-wrenching, the plain, exegetically-sound reading of this pericope refutes, not supports, many popular, though biblically deficient, theologies of salvation.

Blog Archive