Friday, May 18, 2018

Note on Tobit 1:3 and its parallel to 1 Nephi 1:1

The Book of Tobit, one of the freestanding volumes of the Apocrypha, begins with a description of Tobit's earlier faithfulness and righteousness:

I, Tobit, walked in the ways of truth and righteousness all the days of my life. I performed many acts of charity for my kindred and my people who had gone with me in exile to Nineveh in the land of the Assyrians. (Tobit 1:3, NRSV)

Readers of the Book of Mormon will note the similarity to 1 Nephi 1:1, and Nephi's first-person autobiographical note, as well as similar texts in the Book of Mormon, something that is rare in ancient literature. Indeed, commenting on such a parallel, LDS scholar Jared Ludlow wrote:

Interestingly, this initial description is given in the first person by Tobit himself. Such first-person narratives are uncommon among ancient texts, and Tobit's direct speech provides a brief parallel to the first-person portions of the Book of Mormon written by Nephi, Jacob, Mormon, and Moroni. (Jared W. Ludlow, Exploring the Apocrypha from a Latter-day Saint Perspective [Springville, Utah: CFI, 2018], 119 n. 8)


Blog Archive