Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Lowell L. Bennion on Monotheism and Latter-day Saint Theology


In his An Introduction the Gospel, Lowell L. Bennion, when discussing Latter-day Saint beliefs about the Godhead, wrote:

It might appear to the reader that this point the Latter-day Saints are not monotheistic in belief, but rather polytheistic. But this is not so. (Lowell L. Bennion, An Introduction to the Gospel [Salt Lake City: Deseret Sunday School Union Board, 1955], 35)

Explaining how LDS theology can be “monotheistic,” Bennion noted:

God—The Supreme Intelligence

We are monotheistic in the sense that we believe that God, our Father, is unique, for he is the Supreme Intelligence in the universe, greater than the Son, greater than the Holy Ghost, greater than all other intelligent beings. In a revelation to Abraham, recorded in Latter-day Saint scripture, we read:

These two facts do exist, that there are two spirits, one being more intelligent than the other; there shall be another more intelligent than they; I am the Lord thy God, I am more intelligent than they all. (Abraham 3:19)

And in a revelation to Moses, we read similarly:

And God spake unto Moses, saying: Behold, I am the Lord God Almighty, and Endless is my name; for I am without beginning of days or end of years; and is not this endless? And, behold, thou art my son; therefore look, and I will show thee the workmanship of mine hands; but not all, for my works are without end, and also my words, for they never cease. Wherefore, no man can behold all my works, for they never cease. Wherefore, no man can behold all my works, except he behold all glory; and no man can behold all my glory, and afterwards remain in the flesh on earth. And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth, but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all. (Moses 1:3-6)

This passage and the entire chapter which follows, while acknowledging Jesus as the Son of God and co-Creator, with the Father, of the earth and of his continuous and unending creation, places no limitations on God. For “there is no God beside me” and “there is no end to my works.”

We acknowledge God, the father, to be the Supreme God of the universe. There is no mention in the Bible or in other Latter-day Saint scripture of any Gods above him or beside him. Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are Gods working under him and with him. Men who attain a God-like character and stature will also share in his glory and work, but he will ever be God in a unique and supreme sense. (Ibid., 35, emphasis in bold added)

Further Reading

Blog Archive