Friday, April 3, 2020

"Adieu" in English Translations of the Bible and Josephus


The following are English translations of the Bible and Josephus that use the word “adieu” (the same word that appears in Jacob 7:27):

The Darby Bible (1884/1890)

And another also said, I will follow thee, Lord, but first allow me to bid adieu to those at my house. (Luke 9:61)

I had no rest in my spirit at not finding Titus my brother; but bidding them adieu, I came away to Macedonia. (2 Cor 2:13)

Peshita - James Murdock Translation (1852)

And another said to him: I will follow thee, my Lord, but allow me first to bid adieu to my household, and I will come. (Luke 9:61)

And when Paul had been there many days, he bid adieu to the brethren, and departed by sea to go to Syria. And with him went Priscilla and Aquila, when he had shaved his head at Cenchrea, because he had vowed a vow. (Acts 18:18)

Rotherham Bible (1902)

And yet another, said--I will follow thee, Lord; But, first, suffer me to bid adieu to them that are in my house. (Luke 9:61)

Thus, therefore, everyone from amongst you, who doth not bid adieu unto all his own possessions, cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:33)

Paul, however, still further abiding a good many days with the brethren, biding them adieu, set sail for Syria; and, with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchreae, for he had a vow. (Acts 18:18)

But, bidding them adieu, and saying--Again, will I return unto you, God willing, he said away from Ephesus. (Acts 18:21)

Josephus

In Whiston's translation of Josephus, we have the following instance of "adieu" also:

Thus have I set down the genealogy of my father as I have found it described in the public records, and so bid adieu to those who calumniate me [as of a lower original]. (Life of Flavius Josephus 1:6)





Blog Archive