Wednesday, April 15, 2020

John Thomas: His Friends and His Faith


One group I have studied is that of the Christadelphian movement (I have about 120 books in my personal library by Christadelphians from the 19th century to the present, and have written a number of articles interacting with their theology). One of the best biographies of their founder, John Thomas (1805-1871) is that of Peter Hemingray, John Thomas: His Friends and His Faith (2003). Sadly, the book, until recently, was out of print, and any copy one could track down is super expensive (I lucked out when I purchased my copy a few years ago and got one decently-priced [about $20!]). Fortunately, the book is now available on Lulu.com, and it is available in both print and ebook formats:



Not only is this a good biography of John Thomas, it also discusses many of the key figures of the American Restorationist movement (e.g., Alexander and Thomas Campbell; Benjamin Wilson; Thomas Marsh), and, as a result, would be a book LDS should read, too, to understand the religious worldview of America in the 1830s and 1840s.

Blog Archive