Monday, November 30, 2020

Alfred Douglas Young's 17 September 1841 Vision of the Hereafter and the Torments of Hell/Outer Darkness

Writing in 1887, Alfred Douglas Young (1808-1889) recounted the following from his 17 September 1841 vision on the hereafter:

 

The Celestial Kingdom

 

Jesus continued to speak, and shewed me many things pertaining to His Father’s kingdom. One thing I am at liberty to tell, the others I am not—

 

He told me to look. I looked and saw that there were neither sun nor moon to give light, but the Father and His Son were the light that lighted all the kingdoms of the world.

 

This is all of the vision of the Celestial world that I am permitted to write.

 

The Terrestrial and Telestial Kingdoms

 

The angel again said to me, “Look.” I looked and beheld a lesser kingdom typified by the moon. It received its light from the Celestial kingdom, and the inhabitants thereof seemed to exceed those the Celestial kingdom, but the glory was not equal to that of the Celestial. I saw many angels descending and ascending between the Celestial and Terrestrial worlds. I saw the angels descending and ascending between the Terrestrial and Telestial world and administering of the inhabitants of the latter. The glory of the Telestial seemed great, but not as that of the terrestrial.

 

The Kingdom of Darkness

 

The Angel said again to me, “Look.” As I looked, I beheld another world in which the inhabitants appeared to be less in number than in any of the three world that had been before shown me. Perhaps I might call it a kingdom which was neither one of light or of glory; but one of suffering. It was shaded with darkness. It appeared to be a pit; and a thick darkness of smoke ascended upwards as far as I could see. The inhabitants appear to be suffering beyond anything I can describe. This passed from my vision. (Benson Knowles, ed., The Refiner’s Fire: An Autobiographical Account of the Visions, Miracles and Trials of Mormon Pioneer Alfred Douglas Young [GDP Consulting Inc., 2020], 34-35, emphasis in bold added)

 

What stood out most for me was how "Outer Darkness" is indeed a place of intense suffering for those therein, and it is not simply a mental anguish.

Blog Archive