Friday, November 20, 2020

Some Notes on 1 Nephi 1:14 and Lehi's Throne Theophany

In 1 Nephi 1:14, part of Lehi's throne theophany, we read:

 

And it came to pass that when my father had read and seen many great and marvelous things, he did exclaim many things unto the Lord; such as: Great and marvelous are thy works, O Lord God Almighty! Thy throne is high in the heavens, and thy power, and goodness, and mercy are over all the inhabitants of the earth; and, because thou art merciful, thou wilt not suffer those who come unto thee that they shall perish!

 

This is important for many reasons. Firstly, in the theology of the Lehi, God is localised in heaven and sits on a throne, notwithstanding his power being everywhere (on this, see Lynn Wilder vs. Latter-day Saint (and Biblical) Theology on Divine Embodiment; Does Jeremiah 23:24 pose problems for LDS theology?; Psalm 139:7 and Latter-day Saint Theology). Furthermore, the theme of a prophet/seer joining in songs of praise with the heavenly court is seen in many ancient texts. For instance, in the Apocalypse of Abraham (first to second century A.D.), we read the following:

 

3 And I wanted to fall face down on the earth. And the place of highness on which we were standing now stopped on high, now rolled down low. 4 And he said, “Only worship, Abraham, and recite the song which I taught you.” 5 Since there was no ground to which I could fall prostrate, I only bowed down, and I recited the song which he had taught me. 6 And he said, “Recite without ceasing.” 7 And I recited, and he himself recited the song:

 

      8 Eternal One, Mighty One, Holy El, God autocrat

      9 self-originate, incorruptible, immaculate,

      unbegotten, spotless, immortal,

      10 self-perfected, self-devised,

      without mother, without father, ungenerated,

      11 exalted, fiery,

      12 just, lover of men, benevolent, compassionate, bountiful,

      jealous over me, patient one, most merciful.

      13 Eli, eternal, mighty one, holy, Sabaoth,

      most glorious El, El, El, El, Iaoel,

      14 you are he my soul has loved, my protector.

      15 Eternal, fiery, shining,

      light-giving, thunder-voiced, lightning-visioned,

      many-eyed,

      16 receiving the petitions of those who honor you

      and turning away from the petitions of those who restrain you

      by the restraint of their provocations,

      17 redeemer of those who dwell in the midst of the wicked ones,

      of those who are dispersed among the just of the world,

      in the corruptible age.

      Showing forth the age of the just,

      you make the light shine

      before the morning light upon your creation

       from your face

      to spend the day on the earth,

      19 and in your heavenly dwelling place

      (there is) an inexhaustible light of an invincible dawning

      from the light of your face.

      20 Accept my prayer and delight in it,

      and (accept) also the sacrifice which you yourself made

      to yourself through me as I searched for you.

      21 Receive me favorably,

      teach me, show me, and make known to your servant

      what you have promised me. (R. Rubinkiewicz and H.G. Lunt, "The Apocalypse of Abraham," in James H. Charlesworth, The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, Volume 1: Apocalyptic Literature and Testaments [New York: Yale University Press, 1983], 696-97)

 

 

Blog Archive