Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Man Being Able to See God the Father in the Acts of Peter (late 2nd century)

  

(Peter’s first preaching at Rome)

 

7. Now the rumour flew about the city to the brethren who were scattered that Pater at the Lord’s command had come because of Simon, in order to show that he was a deceiver and a persecutor of good men. So the whole multitude collected to see the Lord’s apostle establishing (the Church) in Christ. And on the first day of the week, when the multitude came together to see Peter, he began to say with a loud voice. ‘You men who are present here, who hope in Christ, you who have suffered temptation for a little, attend! Why did God send his Son into the world, or why did he reveal him through the Virgin Mary, if it were not to effect some grace or means of salvation? For he wished to remove all the offence and all ignorance and all activity of the devil, frustrating his designs and his powers through which he formerly prevailed, before our God shown forth in the world. Because (mankind) through ignorance fell into death in their many and varied weaknesses, almighty God, moved with compassion, sent his Son into the world; and I was with him. And I walked on the water, and myself survive as a witness of it; I confess that I was there when formerly in the world he was at work with the signs and all the miracles which he performed. Dearest brethren, I denied our Lord Jesus Christ, and not once only, but three times. For there were wicked dogs who came about me, as said the prophet of the Lord. But the Lord did not lay it to my charge; he turned to me and had compassion on the weakness of my flesh, so that afterwards I wept bitterly and lamented the weakness of my faith, because I was made senseless by the devil and did not keep my Lord’s word in mind. And now I tell you, men and brethren, who have come together in the name of Jesus Christ: Satan the deceiver points his arrows at you too, that you may depart from the way. But do not be disloyal, brethren, nor let your spirit fall, but be strong and stand fast and do not doubt. For if Satan overthrew me, whom the Lord held in such great honour, so that I denied the light of my hope; if he subdued me and persuaded me to flee, as if I had put my trust in a man, what do you expect, you who are new to the faith? Did you expect that he would not subvert you, to make you enemies of the Kingdom of God and plunge you into perdition by the lowest deceit? For whoever he has dislodged from hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, that man is a son of perdition for ever. Change your hearts, therefore, brethren beloved of the Lord, and be strong in the Lord Almighty, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, whom no man has ever seen, nor can see, save him who has believed on him. And you must understand whence this temptation has come to you. For this is not only to convince you with words that it is in the Christ that I am preaching, but also by deeds and marvellous powers I urge you through the faith in Jesus Christ, that none of you should expect another (saviour) than him who was despised and mocked by the Jews, this Nazarene who was crucified and died and rose again the third day.’ (Acts of Peter 7, in Wilhelm Schneemelcher, “The Acts of Peter,” New Testament Apocrypha, ed. Wilhelm Schneemelcher, 2 vols. [Louisville, Ky.: Westminster John Knox Press, 1992], 2: 293-94)

 

In an endnote to the above, we read:

 

Cf. Jn. 1:18, 6:46, but there it is the Son, here the believers, who can see God. (Ibid., 319 n. 56)

 

Blog Archive