Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Psalm 119:10-11 vs. Total Depravity

Psa 119:10-11 reads as follows:

I have turned to You with all my heart; do not let me stray from Your commandments. In my heart I treasure Your promise; therefore I di not sin against you. (1985 JPS Tanakh)

The Septuagint (LXX, Psa 118:10-11) reads:

With my whole heart I sought you; do not thrust me aside from your commandments. In my heart I hid your sayings so that I may not sin against you. (A New English Translation of the Septuagint)

In this text, the “heart” of the psalmist is spoken positively, and something that truly seeks after God and does good in His eyes, and not in a sense of their being totally depraved.

Such should caution one against abusing Jer 17:9 to support the doctrine of Total Depravity, the "T" of TULIP. 

For more, see:





 Support this blog:

Paypal


Gofundme


Blog Archive