Friday, October 19, 2018

God's Knowledge of counterfactuals and contingent foreknowledge in D&C 5:26-35

While reading section 5 of the Doctrine and Covenants this morning,  the following passage stood out to me:

And I the Lord command him, my servant Martin Harris, that he shall say no more unto them concerning these things, except he shall say: I have seen them, and they have been shown unto me by the power of God; and these are the words which he shall say. But if he deny this he will break the covenant which he has before covenanted with me, and behold, he is condemned. And now, except he humble himself and acknowledge unto me the things that he has done which are wrong, and covenant with me that he will keep my commandments, and exercise faith in me, behold, I say unto him, he shall have no such views, for I will grant unto him no views of the things of which I have spoken. And if this be the case, I command you, my servant Joseph, that you shall say unto him, that he shall do no more, nor trouble me any more concerning this matter. And if this be the case, behold, I say unto thee Joseph, when thou hast translated a few more pages thou shalt stop for a season, even until I command thee again; then thou mayest translate again. And except thou do this, behold, thou shalt have no more gift, and I will take away the things which I have entrusted with thee. And now, because I foresee the lying in wait to destroy thee, yea, I foresee that if my servant Martin Harris humbleth not himself and receive a witness from my hand, that he will fall into transgression; And there are many that lie in wait to destroy thee from off the face of the earth; and for this cause, that thy days may be prolonged, I have given unto thee these commandments. Yea, for this cause I have said: Stop, and stand still until I command thee, and I will provide means whereby thou mayest accomplish the thing which I have commanded thee. And if thou art faithful in keeping my commandments, thou shalt be lifted up at the last day. Amen. (D&C 5:26-35)

One will notice the many instances of conditional statements, as well as “if x does y, then z will happen, if not . . . “ like-statements. This, at least to me, serves as support for God having knowledge of couterfactuals (something we also see in D&C 137) as well as his foreknowledge being contingent, not exhaustive.

There are many such passages in the Doctrine and Covenants that, exegetically, support an Open view of the future. Be sure to check out the following:





Blog Archive