Sunday, August 22, 2021

19th-century Rejection of Joseph Smith being a Polygamist: William Marks, "Opposition to Polygamy" in The True Latter Day Saints' Herald

Some groups continue to this day to deny that Joseph Smith was a polygamist. The evidence that Joseph Smith did engage in polygamy (or, to be more accurate, polygyny) is overwhelming. For a recent discussion, see:

 

Brian C. Hales, A Response to Denver Snuffer’s Essay on Plural Marriage, Adoption, and the Supposed Falling Away of the Church – Part 1: Ignoring Inconvenient Evidence (cf. A Response to Denver Snuffer’s Essay on Plural Marriage, Adoption, and the Supposed Falling Away of the Church – Part 2: Façade or Reality?)

 

On Joseph Smith’s polygamy itself, see Brian C. Hales 3-volume work, Joseph Smith’s Polygamy (Greg Kofford, 2013).

 

For those interested in historical quotes from sources by members of “Mormon Restorationist” groups who denied Joseph Smith was a polygamist, here is one I came across on my own reading recently:

 

OPPOSITION TO POLYGAMY,

 

BY THE PROPHET JOSEPH.

 

BROTHER SHEEN.—I feel desirous to communicate through your periodical, a few suggestions made manifest to me by the Spirit of God, in relation to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. About the first of June, 1844, (situated as I was at that time, bring the Presiding Elder of the Stake at Nauvoo, and by appointment by Presiding Officer of the High Council) I had a very good opportunity to know the affairs of the Church, and my convictions at that time were, that the Church in a great measure had departed from the pure principles and doctrines of Jesus Christ. I felt much troubled in mind about the condition of the Church. I prayed earnestly to my Heavenly Father to show me something in regard to it, when I was wrapt in vision, and it was shown me by the Spirit, that the top or branches had overcome the root, in sin and wickedness, and the only way to cleanse and purify it was, to disorganize it, and in due time, Lord would reorganize it again. There were many other things suggested to my mind, but the lapse of time has erased them from my memory. A few days after this occurrence, I met with Brother Joseph. He said that he wanted to converse with me on the affairs of the Church, and we retired by ourselves. I will give his words verbatim, for they were indelibly stamped upon my mind. He said he had desired for a long time to have a talk with me on the subject of polygamy. HE said it eventually would prove the overthrow of the Church, and we should soon be obliged to leave the United States, unless it could be speedily put down. He was satisfied that it was a cursed doctrine, and that there must be every exertion made to put it down. He said that he would go before the congregation and proclaim against it, and I must go into the High Council, and he would prefer charges against those in transgression, and I must sever them from the Church, unless they made ample satisfaction. There was much more said, but this was the substance. The mob commenced to gather about Carthage in a few days after, therefore there was nothing done concerning it. After the Prophet’s death, I made mention of this conversation to several hoping and believing that it would have a good effect, but to my great disappointment, it was soon rumored about that Brother Marks was about to apostatize, and that all that he said about the conversation with the Prophet was a tissue of lies. From that time I was satisfied that the Church would be disorganized, and the death of the Prophet and Patriarch, tended to confirm me in that opinion. From that time I was looking for a re-organization of the Church and Kingdom of God. I feel thankful that I have lived to again behold the day when the basis of the Church is the revelations of Jesus Christ, which is the only sure foundation to build upon. I feel to invite all my brethren to become identified with us, for the Lord is truly in our midst. (William Marks, “Opposition to Polygamy,” dated October 23, 1859, in The True Latter Day Saints’ Herald 1, no. 1 [January 1860]: 25-26)

 -

Blog Archive