Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Praise to the Man vs. Marian Prayers and Hymns

It is not uncommon for some critics, mainly Evangelical Protestants, although I have, sadly, come across a few Latter-day Saints who share such an attitude, to claim that the Latter-day Saint hymn, Praise to the Man, is an example of an over-exalted view of the Prophet Joseph Smith and borders on idolatry. I have examined this argument in some detail in my article:


In another article, The LDS view of Joseph Smith and the Catholic view of Mary, I argued that it is more productive to compare and contrast the view of Joseph Smith, even in the high language of praise in the hymn, to accepted Roman Catholic theology, devotion, prayers, and hymns about and to Mary, the mother of Jesus. In this article, I wish to build upon this.

The Redemptorists was founded by Alphonsus Liguori (1696-1787) who is both canonised saint and, as a result of his moral theology, a doctor of the Catholic Church. His most famous volume, however, is not on moral theology, but Mariology, The Glories of Mary. In a volume entitled Come, Lord Jesus: Redemptorist Mission and Novena Book, a rather popular booklet here in Ireland, there are a number of Catholic prayers and hymns to Mary, speaking in exalted language about her and her active role in salvation. One should compare and contrast the language used about Joseph Smith to the prayers and hymns, not just about but to Mary.

In the “Novena prayer” (pp. 14-15), we read:

Mother of Perpetual Help,
with the greatest confidence
we come before your holy picture
. . .
We think of you, Mother,
at the foot of the cross
Your heart must have bled
to see your Son in agony
. . .
Mother of Sorrows,
help us through the trials and
disappointments of life.
Help us not to lose heart.
May we share with you and your Son
the joy of having courageously faced up
to all the challenges of life. Amen

In the “Thanksgiving prayer” (p.15) the following is said in praise of and to Mary:

Finally, we thank you, loving Father,
for giving us Mary,
the Mother of your Son,
to be our Mother of Perpetual Help.
We are grateful for all the favours
we have received through her intercession.
We pray that those past favours may inspire us
to greater confidence in your loving mercy
and to seek the aid of our Mother of Perpetual Help. Amen.

In the prayer “Memorare” (p. 16), we read:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known
that anyone who fled to your protection,
implored your help,
or sought your intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To you do I come, before you I stand,
sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
But in your mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Continuing on p. 16, there is a prayer, in Irish, “A Mhuire na ngrĂ¡s” (“Mary of Graces”). As most readers of my blog may not know Irish, here is a rough translation:

O Mary of Graces and mother of God,
May I walk in the paths the righteous have trod
And may you save me from every evil
And may you save me in body and soul

And may you save me by land and sea
May you save me from severe pain (alt. torture)
May the guardian angels stay by me
May God be before me and at my side

Finally, with respect to the prayers to Mary, there is the “Prayer from the Irish” (pp. 16-17):

Holy virgin Mary, you are the joy of my soul.
You are the dew of heaven to relieve my parching thirst.
You are the stream of God’s  grace, flowing from his
heart into mine.
You are the light of my darkened soul.
You are the healing of my wounds.
You are the strength of my weakness.
You are the consolation of my hardship.
You are the easing of my trouble.
You are the loosing of my chains.
You are the help of my salvation.
Hear me I beg you, O Virgin most faithful.
Take pity on me.
Turn not away from my need.
Let my tears move you.
Let your own compassionate heart move you.
I cry to you, Mother of God and lover of the human race I
ask from you
O Mary my Mother.

In the section of the booklet reproducing hymns, there are a few with a strong Marian focus. On p. 35, we read the following from “As I kneel before you,” which is directed to Mary (italics in original)

As I kneel before you,
As I bow my head in prayer,
Take this, make it yours,
And fill me with your love.
Ave Maria, gratia plena,
Dominus tecum, benedicta tu.

All I have I give you,
Ev’ry dream and wish are yours
Mother of Christ, Mother of mine,
Present them to my Lord.

As I kneel before you,
And I see your smiling ace,
Ev’ry thought, ev’ry word
is lost in your embrace.

On p.36, we read the following lyrics of the hymn, “Ave at evening”:

Ave Maria, shadows are falling;
Star of the evening, hear us now calling:
Lead us to find our peace in God only.
Ave Maria, Ave.

Moon in our darkness, through the night gleaming,
Calm may our rest be, tranquil our dreaming.
Shine for the fearful, shine for the lonely.
Ave Maria, Ave.

Lady of silence, God’s Word revealing,
Lay your hands on us, all our ills healing.
Bless us tonight and in our last sleeping.
Ave Maria, Ave.

Finally, on p. 45, we read the words of “Hail Queen of Heaven”:

Hail, Queen of heav’n, the ocean star,
guide of the wanderer here below;
thrown on life’s surge, we claim thy care;
save us from peril and from woe.
Mother of Christ, star of the sea,
pray for the wanderer, pray for me.

O gentle, chaste and spotless maid,
we sinners make our prayers through thee;
remind thy son that he has paid
the price of our iniquity.
Virgin most pure, star of the sea,
pray for the sinner, pray for me.

For those both inside and outside the Church who may be (wrongly) squeamish about some of the high words of praise said about the memory and mission of the Prophet Joseph Smith in “Praise to the Man,” such prayers and hymns to Mary, seeking her heavenly intercession to accrue God’s grace, her spiritual motherhood, role as co-redemptrix and mediatrix, and entrusting one’s salvation to Mary, are light years away from the relatively innocent praise in honour of Joseph Smith.




Blog Archive