Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Brigham Young teaching God Fills the Immensity of Space (cf. Jeremiah 23:34 and Psalm 139:7)

 In a sermon dated February 12, 1854, Brigham Young was recorded as saying that:

 

That God fills immensity is a true principle to me. There is no portion of space where He is not. There is no element in existence that does not contain Him; no matter whether it be in its primitive, or in an organized state. He is through it and round about it. God fills immensity. What saith the Psalmist? "Whether shall I go from Thy Spirit? or whither shall I flee from Thy presence? If I ascend up into Heaven, Thou art there; if I make my bed in hell, behold Thou art there; if I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall Thy hand lead me." His power and intelligence are everywhere disseminated. Not a sparrow can fall to the ground without His notice, and the very hairs of our heads are numbered. (Brigham Young, "When I Contemplate the Subject of Salvation," as recorded in Fred C. Collier, President Brigham Young's Doctrine on Deity, Volume 1: Organized Collection of His Own Statements [Salt Lake City: Collier's Publishing Co., 1999], 162)

 

 Further Reading


Does Jeremiah 23:24 pose problems for LDS theology?


Psalm 139:7 and Latter-day Saint Theology



Blog Archive