Tuesday, December 17, 2019

One Receiving the Gift of the Holy Spirit only After the Remission of Sins through the Instrumentality Water Baptism


There are many passages in the Doctrine and Covenants which refutes the (fortunately, rare) soteriological error that some Latter-day Saints teaches, i.e., the view that states water baptism does not remit one’s past sins. In the following texts, note how water baptism brings about a remission of sins and it is only after the reception of both a remission of sins and water baptism one then receives the Holy Spirit:

But, behold, the days of thy deliverance are come, if thou wilt hearken to my voice, which saith unto thee: Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on my name, and you shall receive my Spirit, and a blessing so great as you never have known. (D&C 39:10)

Verily, verily, I say unto you, they who believe not on your words, and are not baptized in water in my name, for the remission of their sins, that they may receive the Holy Ghost, shall be damned, and shall not come into my Father's kingdom where my Father and I am. (D&C 84:74)

For more, see Joseph Smith and Baptismal Regeneration

Blog Archive