Thursday, February 3, 2022

Lyman Wight (July 1844) and Stephen Markham (June 1856) on Joseph Smith Prophesying His Death Just Prior to June 27, 1844

In an early revelation (March 1829), the possibility of Joseph Smith being assassinated is explicated in D&C 5:22:

 

And that you be firm in keeping the commandments wherewith I have commanded you; and if you do this, behold I grant unto you eternal life, even if you should be slain.

 

That Joseph Smith predicted his assassination close to June 27, 1844, is recounted by Lyman Wight (via Wilford Woodruff) and Stephen Markham.

 

In his journal entry for July 28, 1844, Wilford Woodruff recorded a reminiscence of a prophecy by Joseph Smith by Lyman Wight:

 



 

He informed me that Joseph told him while they were in Jeal that he should not live to see forty years but told him not to reveal it untill he was dead. Br Wight as well as the rest of us feels his death deeply

 

While it is second-hand, it should not be dismissed flippantly as (1) Lyman Wight was personally associated with Joseph; (2) Woodruff, a personal friend of Joseph’s, did not cast aspersions on this and (3) it is not late (only a month after Joseph’s death).

 

Another account of Joseph Smith prophesying his death comes from Stephen Markham in a letter dated June 20, 1856, to Wilford Woodruff:

 



 

 

Fort Supply June 20, 1856

 

Bro W. woodruff

 

Sir according to your request I Proceed to give you an account of the Conversation I had with Bro Joseph Smith previous to his Massacre, the first conversation I had with the Prophet On the following subject was the Night; the Guard come in to take him with a Rit [writ] we walked together towards the River & sat down I asked him How this thing was going to come out. he replied if the Brethren would Let him Manage the Business; there should be no blood shed, but if not it would be the hardest Blow the Church ever had or would receive, that if he & Hyrum were ever taken again the[y] Would be Massacred or he was not a Prophet of God, he said he wanted to save Hyrum to avenge his Blood. he said that Hyrum was determined Not to Leave him but die with him.

 

Again, while not a primary source, Markham was a close friend of Joseph’s, and this source is not very late, so again, while nowhere as strong as a primary source, it does show that there was an uncontested tradition in the 1840s and 1850s that Joseph prophesied his death not too long before being murdered in Carthage.

 

Some might argue we do have a primary source in Joseph’s journal for June 22, 1844. In the History of the Church 6:546, we read the following:

 

I told Stephen Markham that if I and Hyrum were ever taken again we should be massacred, or I was not a prophet of God. I want Hyrum to live to avenge my blood, but he is determined not to leave me. (italics in original)

 

However, Joseph’s journal entry does not contain this entry and comes from later sources. It does appear later in History, 1838–1856, volume F-1 [1 May 1844–8 August 1844], p. 146, a document created April 7-June 7, 1856 and August 20 1856-November 6, 1856:

 



 

I told Stephen Markham that if I and Hyrum were ever taken again, we should be massacred, or I was not a prophet of God; “I want Hyrum to live to avenge my blood, b<ut> he is determined not to leave me.”

 

 

Further Reading

 

Resources on Joseph Smith’s Prophecies

Blog Archive