Tuesday, June 28, 2016

4 Ezra versus "divine identity"

In the early 2nd century CE text, 4 Ezra, the angel Uriel is spoken of in exalted language and is even called “Lord” (κυριος), such as the following examples (taken from Bruce M. Metzger, "The Fourth Book of Ezra," in James H. Charlesworth, ed. The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, vol. 1: Apocalyptic Literature and Testaments [Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1983]):

And I said, “O sovereign Lord, from every forest of the earth and from all its trees you have chosen one vine and from all the lands of the world you have chosen for yourself one region . . . (5:23-25)

“Speak on, my lord,” I said. And he said to me, “Are you greatly disturbed in mind over Israel? Of do you love him more than his Maker does?” “No, my lord,” I said, “but because of my grief I have spoken; for every hour I suffer agonies of heart, while I strive to understand the way of the Most High and to search our part of his judgment.” He said to me, “You cannot.” And I said, “Why not, my lord? Why then was I born? . . . (5:33-36)

“O sovereign Lord,” I said, “who is able to know these things except he whose dwelling is not with men? As for me, I am without wisdom, and how can I speak concerning the things which you have asked me?” He said to me, “Just as you cannot do one of the things that were mentioned, so you cannot discover my judgment, or the goal of the love that I have promised my people.” (5:39-40)

I said, “Yet behold, I Lord, you have charge of those who are alive at the end but what will those do who were before us, or we, or those who come after us?” He said to me, “I shall liken my judgment to a circle; just as for those who are last there is now slowness, so for those who are first there is no haste. Then I answered and said, “Could you not have created at one time those who have been and those who are and those who will be, that you might show your judgment the sooner?” He replied to me and said, “The creation cannot make more haste than the Creator, neither can the world hold at one time those who have been created in it.” (5:41-44)

In these selected passages just from chapter 5 of his work, Uriel is called Lord, sovereign Lord, and creation is ascribed to him. These elements alone refute Richard Bauckham’s claims about such pejoratives being unique to Jesus in early Christianity, per his understanding of “divine identity.”

Interestingly, Uriel in 1 Enoch 20:2, is  said to be "over the world and over Tartarus" (Οὐριήλ, ὁ εἷς τῶν ἁγίων ἀγγέλων ὁ ἐπὶ τοῦ κόσμου καὶ τοῦ ταρτάρου), so such as presentation of Uriel is not unique to 4 Ezra.


For a fuller scholarly discussion of this, I would recommend Loren T. Stuckenbruck, Angel Veneration and Christology: A Study in early Judaism and in the Christology of the Apocalypse of John.

Blog Archive