Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The Danger of Lacking Intellectual Humility

On a thread on the ever intellectually challenged Ex-Mormon reddit page, there is a thread by a poster called “Klarod” celebrating the one-year anniversary of her leaving the LDS Church:

1 year ago today, I finally got the courage to read the CES letter. My aunt had told me about it a couple weekends prior when she told me she was leaving the church. I knew there were “historical issues” out there but I just wasn’t really interested. To be honest, I was scared of what I would find. But this time, I had decided that I needed to know what all these issues were. “If the church is true, then I have nothing to fear” I thought, “any more information that I find, as long as it is the truth, can only strengthen my testimony.” So I downloaded the letter and started reading. I remember reading the very first issue (the one about the bible translation errors) and just feeling dumbfounded. I couldn’t believe what I was reading but at the same time it kind of all made sense. A couple hours later I was on the phone with my parents, devastated at what I had found. I was telling them as much as I could but they were probably just worried. They tried comforting me and telling me to “just have faith” and “we don’t know the answers to everything.” My dad said “just whatever you do, don't resign.” But in that moment, I knew I was done.

This shows the lack of critical thinking skills and intellectual humility of many within the online ex-Mormon community, especially the Ex-Mormon Reddit page and Recovery from Mormonism. A few hours reading the CES Letter results in one jettisoning their faith only shows their ignorance of the faith they once held.

As an aside, here are some blog posts I wrote myself addressing the claim that there are KJV errors in the Book of Mormon. Perhaps if this individual (and others duped by the CES Letter) actually researched the issues, they would realise the utter joke that Jeremy Runnells and his "arguments" truly are:






Blog Archive