Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Psalm 110:5 and YHWH (Adonai) at the Right-Hand of the Messiah

In Psa 110:1, YHWH is on the right-hand side of "my lord." Notwithstanding, in v. 5, YHWH (Adonai in the Hebrew) is on the right hand of "my lord." While some may be tempted to see this as evidence that the second lord of v. 1 is to be vocalised as Adonai, not Adoni, the easier explanation is that this is an image of God who is at the right hand of the Messiah as his support. When one consults the psalter, we see a theme of God helping people in:

I have set the Lord (YHWH) before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. (Psa 16:8)

Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. (Psa 73:23)

For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him from those that condemn his soul. (109:31)

The Lord (YHWH) is thy keeper: the Lord (YHWH) is thy shade upon thy right hand. (Psa 121:5)



Blog Archive