Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner's Reminiscence of Joseph Smith's Prophecy Concerning Adam Lighter

  

After we were baptized and confirmed he turned to my husband and said, 'Now, Adam, it's your turn.' Mr. Lightner said, 'No, Joseph, I'll wait till I quit smoking. I don't feel worth. I will some other time.' I thought Joseph could persuade him as he tried hard. As we walked back to the house my husband went ahead with the baby. Joseph walked by me and said, 'Mary that man will never be baptized in this life, unless it is a few moments before he dies.' And though he was only twenty-one then and lived to be seventy three, crossing the plains, enduring all the hardships, and saw the prophesies of Joseph fulfilled and often said he would be baptized, still he never was. He was the kind that looks at the acts of men and lets that influence him instead of looking at the principles. A few minutes before his death he seemed to want something and looked all around, then finally settled back and said 'It's too late now.' I thought he may have been wondering if he could yet be baptized. So in all of fifty two years the Prophet's pro[p]hecy held good. Who would think it would. (Diary of Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner, 1936, p. 7)

 

Further Reading:


Resources on Joseph Smith's Prophecies

Blog Archive