Tuesday, July 11, 2023

ἀναφωνέω being used in non-Ark of the Covenant Contexts

  

Testament of Job 31:1-8

 

31 1 And after seven days of such considerations, Eliphas spoke up and said to his fellow kings, “Let us approach him and question him carefully to see if it is really he himself or not.”

2 But since they were about a half stadion distant from me because of the stench of my body, they arose and approached me with perfumes in their hands, 3 while their soldiers accompanied them scattering incense around me so they would be able to approach me. 4 And they spent three days furnishing the incense.

5 And when they had come near me, Eliphas spoke up and said to me,

 

      “Are you Jobab, our fellow king?

      Are you the one who once had vast splendor?

      Are you the one who was like the sun by day in all the land?

      Are you the one who was like the moon and the stars that shine at midnight?”

      6 And I said to him, “I am indeed.”

 

 

A lament of Eliphas for Job

 

7 And so, after he had wept with a loud wailing (ἀναφωνέω), he called out a royal lament8 while both the other kings and their troops sang in response. (OTP 1:853)

 

Sibylline Oracles Prologue 1:70-71:

 

καὶ οὐ διαδοθέντων εἰς πολλούς, ἐπειδὴ τὰ συμβησόμενα ἐν Ἰταλίᾳ ἰδικώτερα  καὶ τρανότερον ἀνεφώνησε, τῶν δὲ ἄλλων γνωσθέντων ἅπασιν. (And not spread abroad among many, because the things that happened in Italy were more particular and greater; and of the other things that were known, he said.)

 

Blog Archive