Thursday, October 10, 2024

Andrew Jenson (General Conference, October 1912) on the Importance of Personal Revelation and All Are, in Some Sense, Prophets

  

It has been said in this conference that every member of the Church is entitled to revelation. I want to testify to you that I have repeatedly sought God in the woods and hills of Scandinavia, in the wilds of Asia and Africa, upon the high seas, and in many places when I have been far away from my brethren who were entitled to give me advice; and I have always received sufficient revelation in answer to my prayers to lead, guide, and direct me in my movements, and I have never been led astray when I have sought God in the proper way. This is my testimony. Even in the midst of political revelations I have always known where I stood. I have never had to take counsel direct from my brethren on political matters. There is a God in heaven who reveals his secrets to his servants the prophets, and we are all prophets in a certain sense, if we are under the influence of the Holy Ghost, so far as that is concerned; the most humble man or woman in the Church can get down upon his or her knees in prayer, and the heavens will be opened in such a way that we will understand the will of God. Our prayers will ascend to God, and, if we are sincere and honest in our supplication, we will receive an answer through the still small voice which will guide our footsteps through life, and which will cause us to do the right thing at the right time and to take such steps as we shall not subsequently have occasion to regret. (A Voice in the Wilderness: The 1888-1930 General Conference Sermons of Mormon Historian Andrew Jenson, ed. Reid L. Neilson and Scott D. Marianno [Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2018], 115-16)

 

To Support this Blog:

 

Patreon

Paypal

Amazon Wishlist

Email for Amazon Gift card: ScripturalMormonism@gmail.com

Blog Archive