Thursday, October 17, 2024

Grant Underwood on "the church" in D&C 10:53-55

  

[In D&C 10] “my church” like “My disciples,” appears to identity Christ’s devout followers in any (or no) religious organization. The revelation promises that “if this generation harden not their hearts, I will establish my church among them” (Doctrine and Covenants 10:53). Then it makes this unusual statement: “Now I do not say this to destroy my church, but I say this to build up my church; therefore, whosoever belongeth to my church need not fear, for such shall inherit the kingdom of heaven” (vv. 54-55). At the time this was said, there was no restored church on earth, and there would not be for another year. Thus “my church” seems to refer to a spiritual fellowship known only to God and consisting of people, regardless of their institutional affiliations, whose private beliefs and behavior qualified them for membership in it and who, like “my disciples,” was expected to receive the fullness of the gospel and inherit the kingdom of heaven. (Grant Underwood, “’The Laws of the Church of Christ’: A Textual and Historical Analysis,” in The Voice of the Lord: Exploring the Doctrine and Covenants, ed. Alexander L. Baugh [Provo, Utah: BYU Religious Studies Center; Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2024], 100, comment in square brackets added for clarification)

 

To Support this Blog:

 

Paypal

Amazon Wishlist (US)

Amazon Wishlist (UK)

Email for Amazon Gift card: ScripturalMormonism@gmail.com

Patreon

Blog Archive