Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Wilford Woodruff in a letter dated September 8, 1879, placing the Nephites outside of the US "Heartland"

 In a letter attributed to Wilford Woodruff, dated September 8, 1879, the author places the “Nephites” outside of the US “Heartland” model:

 

The following is a copy of a letter signed, at the time prudentially, “A Missionary”, but which now be understood to be from Apostle Wilford Woodruff.

 

“Snowflake, Apache Co., Arizona.

 

“Sept 8th 1879.

 

“Dear brother Bleak: I returned to this place on Saturday night after a journey of 25 days in visiting the Nephites, Jacobites[,] Josephites and Zoramites as spoken of in the 3d Section, 17th verse of the D. and C., who comprise the Zunies, Lagoonies and Isletas.

 

. . .

 

And now Brother Bleak I feel, after saying that I am very well and in the best of spirits, that I cannot interest you or my friends in St George any better than by giving you a brief account of my journey and visit among the Nephites, which I consider one of the most interesting missions of my life. I say Nephites, because if there are any Nephites on this Contingent we have found them among the Zunies, Lagoonies, and Isletas, for they are a different race of people altogether from the Lamanites. I class the Navajo, Moqui and Apaches with the Lamanites, although they are in advance of many Indian tribes of America. I class the Zunies, Lagoonies and Isletas among the Nephites. The Zunies are in advance of the Navajos, Apaches or any other Lamanites, the Lagoonies are much above the Zunies, and the Isletas are far above them all, in wealth, in beauty, cleanliness, and, order in their homes and persons, the adornment of their dwellings, their industry and indefatigable labors, the virtue and purity of their national blood, their bearing and dignity in their intercourse with strangers, and, above all else, the expansion of their minds and capability of receiving any principle of the Gospel, of Endowments, or Sealings powers fully equal to the mind of any of the Anglo Saxon race. While I have been standing in the midst of that noble minded people teaching them the Gospel,--I would not make myself believe I was standing in the presence of American Indians or Lamanites, neither was I. the Isleta of which I speak is a village 12 miles below Albuquerque, on the Rio del Norte, containing 3000 souls that stand at the head of this class of men that I call the Nephites. They occupy 40 villages containing a population of 32,000 souls, speaking 16 distinct languages, but nearly all good Spanish Scholars. (The Annals of the Southern Mission: A Record of the History of the Settlement of Southern Utah, ed. Aaron McArthur and Reid L. Neilson [Salt Lake City: Greg Kofford Books, 2019], 529-30)

 

In his journal for August 29, 1879, Wilford Woodruff recorded the following in his journal, substantiating the claim that Woodruff was the author of the September 8, 1879 letter:

 

The Islatas Stand at the Head of 32,000 Souls occupying about 40 Villages speaking 16 different Languages. This Comprises the Lagoonies, Zunies & Islatas Mostly in New Mexico though [there is] one small village in Texas that speak the Islata language. The Islata have their own laws, Courts, Judges, Poliece &c. They are far more Clenly & industrious & wealthy than any other Lamanits with whom I am acquainted. They Build good houses & live well. Men, women & children take a Bath Evry Saturday night. I Consider the Islatas quite as Capable of receiving any principle of the gospel or intelligence as the Anglo Saxon race.

 

Blog Archive