Friday, October 9, 2026

Eliza R. Snow (October 20, 1874): The Return to Jackson County to Build the Temple (cf. D&C 84) Being Contingent

On October 20, 1874, Eliza R. Snow stated that:  


I have always felt myself in the United Order, and I expect the sisters will have more time to improve their minds, and it will help us the sooner to go back to Jackson County and build a temple where the glory of God will rest upon it. (Eliza R. Snow, “I Would Have Walked to the Ends of the Earth,” Salt Lake City Nineteenth Ward Relief Society, Nineteenth Ward Hall, Salt Lake City, October 20, 1874, in Rise Up and Speak: Selected Discourses of Eliza R. Snow, ed. Jennifer Reederm, Sharlyn D. Howcroft, Elizabeth A. Kuehn, and Jessica M. Nelson [Salt Lake City: The Church Historian’s Press, 2026], 158)

 

It appears that she believed that the return to Jackson County to build the temple was contingent upon the actions of the Latter-day Saints. On this, and other issues relating to Joseph Smith's prophecies, see:


Resources on Joseph Smith's Prophecies

Blog Archive