Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Theodoret of Cyrus (393-457) on the Epistle of Philemon and Slavery

  

Phlm 1:21:

 

I have written to you in the knowledge that you will do even more than I ask (v. 21): I know your obedience of soul—hence my writing, trusting that you will provide more than I asked. (Theodoret of Cyrus, Commentary on the Letters of St. Paul, 2 vols. [Brookline, Mass.: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2001], 2:264)

 

The translator, Robert Charles Hill, offered this note:

 

A modern commentator, like Fitzmyer wonders if Paul is asking for the emancipation of the slave. Perhaps Theodoret in his time would prefer not to entertain the possibility of what “more” could involve (cf. his comment on v. 25). (Ibid., 2:265 n. 9)

 

Phlm 1:25:

 

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen (v. 25). It behooves those who vouchsafed the divine teaching to follow these laws, and thus to teach the servants to give service to their masters, so that in every way Christ the Lord may be celebrated, to whom with the Father and the all-holy Spirit belong glory and magnificence, now and forever, for ages and ages. Amen. (Theodoret of Cyrus, Commentary on the Letters of St. Paul, 2 vols. [Brookline, Mass.: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2001], 2:264-65)

 

Blog Archive