Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Strack and Billerbeck on Matthew 5:48

  

5:48: You shall therefore be perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect.

τέλειος “perfect” = תָּמִים or שָׁלֵם.—It is said of Abraham that by circumcision he became perfect תמים like God.

 

Genesis Rabbah 46 (29A): R. Levi (ca. 300) said, “Like a matron to whom the king said, ‘Pass me by!’ She passed him by, and her face became discolored. She said (to herself), ‘Perhaps something reprehensible has been found in me.’ The king said to her, ‘There is nothing reprehensible about you, only the nail of your little finger is a little large; remove it and the fault is removed!’ So God said to Abram our father, ‘There is nothing reprehensible in you except this foreskin; remove it, and the fault is removed: “walk before me, and you will be perfect תמים” (Gen 17:1).’ ” ‖ Genesis Rabbah 46 (29A): R. Judan (ca. 350) said, “As there is nothing reprehensible in a fig except the stalk; remove it and the defect is removed—so also God said to Abraham, ‘There is nothing reprehensible in you except the foreskin; remove it and the defect is removed: “walk before me, and you will be perfect” (Gen 17:1).’ ” ‖ A baraita in b. Ned. 32A: Rabbi said, “Great is circumcision; for you have no one who was so occupied with fulfilling the commandments as our father Abraham, and (yet) it was only because of circumcision that he was called perfect תמים (see Gen 17:1f.).” ‖ TanḥumaB לך לך § 23 (40A): God said to Abraham, “It is enough for the servant if he is like his master!” Like a king who had a friend who was rich beyond measure. The king said, “What shall I give my friend? He has silver and gold, slaves and female slaves, and livestock; but behold, I will gird him with my belt (so Buber).” Likewise God said (to Abraham), “What shall I give you? Silver and gold, slaves and bondwomen, and livestock have I already given you (see Gen 13:2); what shall I give you therefore? Let it be enough for you to be like me, as it says, ‘I will give my (circumcision) covenant between you and me’ (Gen 17:2).” (Hermann L. Strack and Paul Billerbeck, A Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud & Midrash, 3 vols. [trans. Andrew Bowden and Joseph Longarino; Bellingham, Wash.: Lexham Press, 2022], 1:430-31)

 

 

 

To Support this Blog:

 

Paypal

Venmo

Amazon Wishlist

 

Blog Archive