Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Parley P. Pratt on the Earth being the Inheritance of the Righteous

  

Abraham would tell you, you should have read the promise of God to him, Gen. xvii, 8, where God not only promised the land of Canaan to his seed for an everlasting possession, but also to him. Then you should have read the testimony of Stephen, Acts, vii, 5, by which you would have ascertained that Abraham never had inherited the things promised, but was still expecting to rise from the dead and be brought into the land of Canaan, to inherit them. "Yes," says Ezekiel, "if you had read the thirty-seventh chapter of my prophecies, you would have found a positive promise, that God would open the graves of the whole house of Israel, who were dead, and gather up their dry bones, and put them together, each to its own proper place, and even clothe them again with flesh, sinews, and skin, and put His Spirit in them, and they should live; and then, instead of being caught up to heaven, they should be brought into the land of Canaan, which the Lord gave them, and they should inherit it."

 

But, still astonished, you might turn to Job; and he, surprised to find one unacquainted with so plain a subject, would exclaim: "Did you never read my nineteenth chapter, from the twenty-third to the twenty-seventh verses, where I declare, I wish my words were written in a book, saying, that my Redeemer would stand on the earth in the latter-day; and that I should see Him in the flesh, for myself, and not another; though worms should destroy this body?" Even David, the sweet singer of Israel, would call to your mind the thirty-seventh Psalm, where he repeatedly declares that the meek shall inherit the earth forever, after the wicked are cut off from the face thereof.

 

And last of all, to set the matter forever at rest, the voice of the Savior would mildly fall upon your ear, in his sermon on the mount, declaring emphatically: "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." To these things you would answer: "I have read these passages, to be sure, but was always taught to believe that they did not mean so, therefore, I never understood them until now. Let me go and tell the people what wonders have opened to my view, since my arrival in heaven, merely from having heard one short song. It is true, I have heard much of the glories of heaven described, while on earth, but never once thought of their rejoicing in anticipation of returning to the earth." Says the Savior: "They have Moses and the Prophets; if they will not believe them, neither would they believe although one should rise from the dead." (Parley P. Pratt, A Voice of Warning [1837], 85-87)

 

Blog Archive