On January 20, 1878, John S. Fullmer recorded the following reminiscence from June 22, 1844, of Joseph Smith predicting a then-future movement of the Saints to the Rocky Mountains:
On this day our General called us
out in order, and to my astonishment counseled us to give up our arms; that had
been supplied for our defence by the authorities of the State of Ills., Saying
we will give unto them that ask of us, and trust in God! for our future
welfare.
I wish to render you my thanks as
soldiers and citizens, under my command. I proclaim as your General, you have
done faithfully your duty in guarding this City, and in preserving the lives of
all the people, as well [as?] mine in a special manner for <I> have seen
you on duty without shoes and comfortable clothing. And if I had the means to
buy, or I could obtain these necessary things for you, I would gladly do so
<it>. But I cannot mortage anny of my property to get one dollar; but I
will say this, You will be called the first Elders of the church, and your
missions will be to the nations of the Earth.— You will gather many people into
the fastness of the Rockey Mountains Mountains as a center for the
gathering of the people. And you be faithful because you have been true. And
many of those that come in under your ministry because of their much learning,
they will seek for high positions, and they will be set up and raise themselves
in eminence above you, but you will walk in low places unnoticed, and you will
know all that transpires in their midst. And those who are your friends will be
my friends. This I will promise to you. that when I come again to lead you
forth. For I go to prepare a place for you, so that where I am, you shall be
with me.
With these comforting sayings, he
thanked us for past duties done.
You are now dismissed to take
care of your wives, children and homes.
Further Reading: