While serving as a missionary on the Island of Tubuai in French Polynesia, Addison Pratt (1802-1872) recorded the following:
[London Missionary Society
Missionaries Appear]
16th, Sabbath. This morning erly,
it was rumored that another vessel was in sight. I hastily wrote a line to
Brother Hills and told him if there was any news of importance to write a line
and let me know what it is. I dispatcht a messenger with it, and soon after
commenced my morning service. Near the close of it, there came in a rummer from
Mataura, and after service was over I asked him, “What news?” He said the last
vessel had landed 4 English missionaries, and I was wanted immediately. But he
brought no letter, and I knew these to be a people easily excited. The weather rainy
also. I consulted King Tommatooa who had come over to the see, and he said, “Wait
till you get a letter,” and I attended to the farthermore services of the day.
In the evening, returned my messenger bearing a letter from Br. Hills stating that
those missionaries had been on shore telling the people all the scandalous
reports that had ever been reported about the Mormons &c. Stateing that
Joseph Smith is a liar and a false prophet and the Book of Mormon is a lie,
that his followers worshipped him, and they also worshipped the Virgin Mary and
the Saints and there was no differance between the prophet and the pope and
much of such like stuff and the church members wished me to come there without
fail on the morrow, for they would be there. (Addison Pratt, Journal, September
16, 1844, in The Journals of Addison Pratt, ed. S. George Ellsworth
[Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 1990], 191-92, spellings in original
retained)
One was reminded of other British Protestants, thosebrainlets from Reachout Trust (Mike Thomas and Tony Brown); as the French would say, "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose." Furthermore,
reminded me of the following clip from one of my fave TV shows of all time: