Sunday, September 27, 2026

David Osborn (1807-1893): Did He Believe Joseph Smith Predicted the Second Coming in 1890/91?

In his journal for April 20, 1874, David Osborn recorded his reminiscence of Joseph Smith’s teachings concerning seeing Jesus if he were to live to 85 years of age (cf. D&C 130:15):

 

In one of his discourses at Nauvoo he said at one time he inquired of the Lord how long or how many years it would be till He would come? He said the answer he received was this: "My servant, Joseph, if you live to be eighty five years old, you shall see my face." In reading his history I find that at the dedication of the Temple at Kirtland, which was in the year 1835, he prophesied the 56 years more would bring the winding up scene of this generation. Which will bring this important event to take place in the year '90 or '91. (David Osborn, Journal, April 20, 1874, in Personal Journal of David Osborn, c. 1964, [36], Church History Library, MS 23445, copy in my possession)

 

Did Osborn believe that the Second Coming (Parousia) would occur in 1890/91? It appears that his understanding of Joseph Smith’s teachings and the “winding up scene of this generation” was not the Second Coming. For example, on April 3, 1891(!) we read the following:

 

Again I have thought if I had my life to live over again I could improve in another direction. Our errand or chief purpose in coming to this world, was to get a tabernacle of flesh and also to raise up a posterity. Well, I raised up a few children from Cynthia, my first wife, and have never regretted it, but when I lost her why did I not get a wife that was likely to bring me a few more? A question which I can not answer to my own satisfaction. So it seems that I have failed in improving on the talents with which I have been entrusted, and as it is only our privilege to pass through this life but one time, it is too late to make amends. But it may be that provisions may be made to receive wives and increase in the Millennium by proxy. I will wait and see for I did hear Joseph say that our future Kingdom or exaltation depended to a certain extent on the number of our posterity. (David Osborn, Journal, April 3, 1891, in Personal Journal of David Osborn, c. 1964, [92])

 

Here, Osborn speaks of “the Millennium” being a then-future event as of April 1891, and says that he will “wait and see” concerning proxy provision for wives and posterity.

 

Earlier, in an entry for November 20, 1880, Osborn wrote the following:

 

I have received no reply to a very lengthy letter I addressed to S. B. Harrah, my cousin, in Indiana. In this letter I again bore my humble testimony concerning the Latterday work, appealing to the scriptures in proof of the second coming of the Savior and the great events to precede it. (David Osborn, Journal, November 20, 1880, in Personal Journal of David Osborn, c. 1964, [57])

 

What is odd is that he would appeal to Scripture to teach about the truth of the Second Coming, but not make reference to the fact that Jesus would return in ~10 years time (unless Osborn did not believe Joseph Smith was teaching the Parousia would take place in 1890/91).

 

Elsewhere, during a High Priest’s theological class study held December 17, 1883, there is a discussion of the Second Coming, but no reference to it taking place in ~7-8 years time:

 

Last fall we had 6 or 7 Elders more ordained into the High Priests Quorum by our President Br. Roskelly. We were counseled by him to change the order of our meetings into a Theological Class, taking up at each meeting a certain subject or principle of the Gospel to investigate. We have spoken on the following subjects: Faith Repentence and Baptism, The Gift and Office of the Holy Spirit, The Gathering of the House of Israel, The Second Coming of the Savior with all His Saints, The Restitution of all Things Spoken by the Ancient Prophets. I am now engaged in getting the Genealogy of the High Priests in our ward for our President to put on the record of the Cache Valley Stake of Zion. I have written and sent off several letters inquiring for the names and Genealogy of my kindred but get no answer. I have not visited my children at Three Mile or Bear Lake Valley for the past season, it seems a long time since we were together. (David Osborn, Journal, December 17, 1883, in Personal Journal of David Osborn, c. 1964, [71])

 

It appears that Osborn did not interpret Joseph Smith as teaching that the Second Coming/Parousia would take place in 1890/91.

 

Further Reading:

 

Resources on Joseph Smith’s Prophecies (e.g., Did Joseph Smith Predict that the Second Coming would happen in 1890/91?)

Blog Archive